The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy
Savoy Hill, Strand, London WC2R 0DA
Tel: 020 7379 8088 (Chaplain) or 020 7836 7221 (Steward)
Chapel of the Royal Victorian Order
The Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy was built as the principal chapel of a hospital for ‘pouer, nedie people’ founded by King Henry VII and finished in 1512 after his death. It is a private Chapel of Her Majesty the Queen in right of her Duchy of Lancaster, and Her Majesty appoints the chaplain. It is, therefore, a ‘free’ Chapel not falling within any diocese or episcopal jurisdiction.
On the occasion of his Coronation in 1937, King George VI commanded that the chapel of the Savoy should become the chapel of the Royal Victorian Order, an honour in the personal gift of the Sovereign, and the Chaplain of the Queen’s Chapel is ex officio Chaplain of the Order. An ante-chapel (now renamed the Lancaster Hall), chaplain’s office and robing room were constructed in 1958 to provide additional accommodation.
A new three-manual Walker organ was presented to the Chapel by Her Majesty the Queen in 1965. Further work in 2011–12 included the installation of a new stained glass window to mark the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen’s reign, an extension of the royal robing room, the creation of a new sunken courtyard on the north side of the Lancaster Hall, the construction of a new chaplain’s study and an office for the Steward, and the development of new facilities for receptions.
Members of the public are welcome to attend services which are held on Sundays (11 am) and weekdays (except August and September) with the exception of those for special or official occasions. The Chapel has a particularly fine musical tradition with a choir of men and boys. The Chapel is normally open to the public between 1 October and 31 July from 9am to 4pm Monday to Thursday.
||Revd Prof Peter Galloway JP OBE
||Sqn Ldr Thomas Leyland BSc RAF (rtd)
|Master of Music
||Mr Philip Berg MVO FRCO ARCM
|Chairman of the Council
||The Lord Shuttleworth KCVO
Royal Memorial Chapel Sandhurst
Camberley, Surrey GU15 4PQ
Tel: 01276 686540
The Royal Memorial Chapel Sandhurst is the Chapel of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. It is also the Memorial Chapel of the officers of the British Army.
The present building was erected after the First World War as a memorial to those trained at Sandhurst who gave their lives in that conflict. Their names are inscribed on the Chapel’s pillars. A memorial book contains the names of all officers of the Commonwealth Armies who died in the Second World War, and a page of this book is turned at the beginning of principal services.
A Book of Remembrance containing the names of all officers who have been killed in service since 1947 is kept in the South Africa Chapel.
The main Sunday service is at 1030. The forms of service include the Book of Common Prayer, Common Worship, and special services within the Academy’s calendar. Services are open to the public, and passes may be obtained by contacting the Chapel Office.
||Revd David Crees CF
||Revd Keith Barry CF
|Choirmaster and Organist
||Mr Peter Beaven
|Constitution of the Chapel Council
||Maj-Gen P. C. Marriot (Chairman), Canon J. R. B. Gough (Deputy Chairman), Maj J. M. Watkinson (Secretary), Ven Peter Eagles (Chaplain General), Maj-Gen Sir Simon Cooper, Maj Gen R. L. Kirkland, Brig M. Owen
The Royal Foundation of St Katharine
2 Butcher Row, London E14 8DS
Tel: 0300 111 1147
Fax: 0300 777 1147
St Katharine’s, founded by Queen Matilda in 1147 originally adjacent to the Tower of London, is a charitable conference and retreat centre at Limehouse in East London, between the City and Canary Wharf. It serves the Church of England, other churches and charities, offering an attractive setting for day or residential group meetings, seminars or retreats. It is also an excellent place to stay for business or pleasure in London. There are excellent facilities with residential en suite accommodation for 44 people and a choice of 7 meeting rooms. Daily worship is held in the peaceful chapel.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Patron of the Foundation.
Deans of Peculiars
The few present-day Deans of Peculiars are the residue of some 300 such office-holders in the medieval period, when the granting of ‘peculiar’ status, fully or partially exempting a jurisdiction from episcopal control, was commonly employed by popes and others to advance the interests of a particular institution, or limit the power of the bishops. Unlike the Royal Peculiars, the deaneries had little in common, and the privileges and duties of the individual posts ranged from nominal to significant. Most of the special provisions were brought to an end in the nineteenth century. But each Peculiar has interesting light to throw on a phase of Anglican or national history.
Very Revd Canon Dr John Edmondson
(Suffolk) Very Revd Martin Thrower
Very Revd Mark Warrick (Vicar of Stamford All Saints with St John the Baptist)
Preachers, Inns of Court
Very Revd Derek Watson
Rt Revd Michael Doe